Sunday, November 23, 2008

Beware of Soft Shoes

Last week, I was out shopping with some friends and suddenly heard a commotion near the elevator area. A young boy's shoe was trapped at the elevator as he was getting off. Thank goodness the elevator jammed and his father lifted him and passerbys tried to dislodge his shoe but to no avail and I could see that his tiny toe was bleeding. He was crying but the ice cream in his hand could have eased part of his pain while his mother comforted him.
I did receive an email sometime earlier of such a mishap but I didn't realize that it will happen right infront of my eyes. Seeing is believing.
The Consumer Product Safety Commission reports that 77 escalator entrapment incidents have been reported since January 2006, half of which resulted in injury. All but two of the incidents involved soft-sided flexible clogs and slides such as Crocs. The CPSC doesn't reference the brand Crocs in its announcement but acknowledges that Crocs fall into the category of soft shoes they are warning about.
A word of caution for "Soft Shoes". They are comfortable but it has its limitations.

2 comments:

  1. Oh! I have not heard of that. Anyway I have to be careful when I bring my mum out next time.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I did hear before but I had not seen. Now I see and believed. Blessed are those who do not see and yet believe.

    ReplyDelete