Thursday, November 20, 2008

Life In A Forest

My family and I lived in a lush green environment without piped in water or electricity. We drew water from a stream and oil lamps that illuminate in the dark.
Though we inherited a big acreage from our fore-fathers, we still faced difficult financial times when the harvest was not in demand. However, during the festive seasons our parents ensured that we had a better spread of food. We had our own home grown poultry and a roster could weigh 7kg and the meat was very good - tough which needed much chewing. Not easy to have such meat available these days. If there is, it will be very pricy and not easily obtainable. Ironically, though they were not caged up but they knew how to return when night fell.
Nowadays, chickens are not given any walking space inside their cage and they are jabbed to be fattened and slaughtered within a specific time otherwise they become featherless.
Though we did not have full grown lobsters or caviar on toast or aged wine, but we had our family togetherness, lots of laughter, sometimes tears, but nobody could take away our “togetherness”. Oh how the years have fled – in the twinkling of an eye! I guess everyone walks down memory lane once in a while, but when I am visited by nostalgia, I have to wipe away a tear or two silently. I praise and thank God for my journey until my growth into womanhood. As I looked back, what a learning experience it has been!!

No comments:

Post a Comment